slummy mummy

welcome to the world of capuccinos, childcare and afternoon naps.

Wednesday, May 17, 2006

the world of work

it was quite a suprise to discover today that the world of work still exists in my slummy life. i'd been up to london and seen some old work mates yesterday and casually mentioned that i was freelance. on the way home i was doubting that i'd ever get to do anything as grown up as work in a newsroom again. but today i found 3 emails in my inbox offering me shifts.

the world of work reappeared in my life at a particularly good time. i'd just come off the phone to my best friend. we're fiercely loyal and fiercely honest with each other - a perfect recipe for friendship, especially when dealing with childbirth, marriage and motherhood.


anyway. she's a couple of months ahead of me and has baby no.2 already here and hanging off her boob 24 hours a day as she's intent on breastfeeding and the little thing is permanently hungry.

"how's it going?" i asked. "oh my god, he's the most terrible baby. it's bringing back dreadful memories of no.1. the little one's constantly crying and the big one keeps taking his clothes off and the husband's gone out to watch the football."

stumped as to know what comforting words to come up with i mumbled "god, that's a bit shit". we swapped a few more stories then i settled down to ponder my fate as a soon to be mother of two.

it was a bleak future of split ends, endless fish finger teas, possibly even leisure wear (for me, not the little things, obviously) when the perfect escape from my slummy world appeared on the horizon. pinging into my inbox like a ray of sunshine was the world of work.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home